Unoriginal Musings
You know when you're scrolling through Instagram or Tumblr or Pinterest, and you come across a post that you relate to on so many levels, and your first instinct is to repost or reblog or share it because no one else could have put your feelings into better words, but you become self-conscious and just end up saving it for 'some other time?' You read it, again and again, and all the reasons, all the stories, that made you relate to it, start playing in your mind. It happens with both happy memories, in which case you want to share your joy and excitement with someone, as well as with bad experiences when you want to get the ick or pain out of your system by speaking about it so someone, anyone who would be kind enough to listen. For me, more often than not, I do not have a listening ear. To be more specific, I am not open enough with someone to talk about deeper stuff or talk about feelings. I am a very good listener, I can even comfort people when they share their sorrows and celebrate with them when they share their wins, but I certainly cannot bring myself to ask others for doing that for me. I guess it's either because I'm an introvert, or because I have tried (and succeeded in) doing that, but ended up regretting my decision. ( it's the latter :| )
What I started doing in such situations is either suppressing the urge to talk or (if I am not being lazy) opening up my notes app and writing down what I'm feeling. Journaling, as the act is called, helps me a lot to cope with my emotions. I have been (almost consistently) doing it for three years now. I feel lighter when the thoughts in my head have been emptied on paper (the app but you get what I mean). But journaling my feelings soon turned into journaling everything: my ideas, my opinions, my takes on mundane things. I soon realized I started having the urge to write down my internal monologues at random times. I wanted to write about my experiences (both good and bad). I wanted to write about the most talked about topics like rain, travel, sitcoms, movies, and books, but from my perspective, even if it was going to be labeled as unoriginal. If I couldn't speak about it, if I couldn't discuss it with someone, if I was too scared of being judged for 'pretending; to be someone who had a lot of thoughts and opinions to share, I could at least write it down and get it out, even if no one was at the receiving end of this channel of communication.
So I did just that. I started small, by writing captions for my Instagram posts on my art account. I created stories around my art and expressed the thoughts that led to me making a particular drawing (accompanied with sarcastic comments because hey, I don't wanna be known as 'pretentious' (even if I am.)) But eventually, the captions started becoming the central figure, and the art just accompanied it. So I thought, why not quit procrastinating for once, and accept the fact that I love to write (even if I haven't learned it professionally and even if I am not good at it) and give blogging a shot. Even if people find my writing pretentious, it doesn't matter because I'm staying anonymous (that is if anyone ever lands on my blog and actually reads it).
'nothing new' is exactly that. It's me talking about things that have already been talked about. A lot. By amateurs and by professional writers. By kids, and by adults. I wanna talk about why I love rain. I wanna talk about my love for sitcoms. I wanna share my experience of falling in love with music. I wanna rant. Just, write. I believe I have a lot to say. I don't know if what I say or will say has any use. But if it makes me happy, imma do it. People might read it, might resonate with it, might criticize it even. And they'll definitely find it unoriginal. But sometimes, you yearn for familiarity, and nothing new.
Byeee!
~ vee [that's what I'm gonna sign off with each time :) ]
P.S. This is basically an introductory post describing why I started this blog and what you can expect from it. Happy reading!


Comments
Post a Comment